Image of Students talking together

Finance, bursaries, and assistance

No one should be put off coming to study with us because they worry they can't afford it. 

This section will give you an idea of how much it will cost to be a student here, and the many ways that Ƭ and the University can help.

Financial assistance

Students from the UK

In addition to the government loan to cover your tuition fees, students from the UK can also take out a maintenance loan to help with living costs. A portion of the maintenance loan isn't means tested and is available to all students regardless of household income. The remaining portion (the additional maintenance loan) is means tested, with the level of loan you're eligible for dependent on your household income.

If you take out a maintenance loan, this will be paid directly into your bank account in three instalments each year, at the beginning of each term. Find out more by visiting the website of your relevant student finance authority:

If you qualify for an additional maintenance loan, you may also be eligible for a of up to £3,500 per year or £5,600 per year for some mature students. The amount you may receive will depend on your household income as reported to your relevant student finance authority.

If you've been eligible for free school meals and successfully apply to Cambridge from 2021 onwards, you'll be eligible to receive an Educational Premium of £1,000 per year. The Cambridge Bursary and the Educational Premium are both grants rather than loans, so you don't have to pay them back at any point.

Students from the European Union

Some students from the European Union (EU) who are studying at an English university and who meet certain conditions may also be eligible for help towards living costs. Please contact the Student Finance Services Non UK Team for more information: 

Telephone: 0141 2433570 
From outside the UK: +44 (0)141 2433570 
Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.30pm

EU students may also be eligible for a .

Overseas students

Limited means tested financial support is available to overseas students from the .

Some students may be eligible to . You can read information on the page linked to above and on the .


We do our best to help students manage any financial problems, through grants and loans. There are also funds which relate to specific subjects or activities.

In addition, the College sets aside a sum of money each year to support study-related expenses for undergraduates during the holidays. This is supplemented by special awards such as the Sir Denys Page Award of £300 for travel to Greece, and a small number of travel bursaries.


We also award prizes on the basis of performance in University examinations. Undergraduates gaining first class honours in the exams at the end of their first year receive a prize of £90. If their results are particularly outstanding, they may win a prize of £150. Similar awards are available for performance in exams at the end of their second, third, or fourth years.

The most prestigious College prizes are the Keller Prizes, which are awarded in the year of graduation to students with distinguished academic records throughout their course. But there are many others for outstanding Tripos performances in particular subjects as well as some which are not tied to examination performance.

Further information

You can find more information in the .

Find out more about applying to Ƭ, or for more information email us on undergraduate-admissions@jesus.cam.ac.uk.

Hear from our students