Image of Postgraduate flat for couples

Postgraduate rents and what's included

All our postgraduate rooms are well furnished and centrally heated, with fast internet, and access to showers, laundry facilities, and kitchens. 

How much will my accommodation cost?

Your rent (also known as the 'accommodation licence fee') includes internet access, utilities, cleaning in communal areas, and laundry facilities.

Rents are based on each room's size and facilities, take a look at the full list of postgraduate rooms and fees.

The rental period runs from 15 September each year until 31 August the following year, with no breaks between terms. If you arrive in the autumn term but after 15 September you'll still need to pay the full amount from the start of the rental period.

You pay the license fee in four instalments over the course of the year. If you wish to vacate before the end of the tenancy then you can do. You must give a minimum of one month's notice in writing, after the first quarter. Therefore the earliest you can move out is 15 December.

Included in your rent


All rooms are fully furnished with a standard set of furniture: a bed, wardrobe, desk, desk lamp, desk chair, bookcase, chest of drawers, bedside table, an armchair or easy chair, a notice board, and picture hooks. 

You can bring your own furniture and furnishings as long as they're listed in the accommodation licence agreement. The same goes for any electrical equipment - you're responsible for making sure that any electrical appliances you bring are safe to use and British Standard approved. We recommend getting your appliances Portable Appliance Tested before you arrive.


All kitchens are equipped with a kettle, toaster, refrigerator, and an oven with an electric hob. You'll need to bring your own pots, pans, cutlery, and crockery. We're gradually equipping kitchens with freezers too, where there is space.

If you have special requirements, for instance for health or religious reasons, please email student-rooms@jesus.cam.ac.uk to let us know.


There are washing machines available to use in all postgraduate accommodation and, in some cases, tumble dryers too. 

Utilities and internet

Heating, lighting, and water bills are all included in your rent, as is high speed broadband internet access.


We can't accept any responsibility for loss or damage to personal property.

Over the last few years, at the request of the  postgraduate society, the College has taken out a block contents insurance policy with a provider called Endsleigh. This covers the personal belongings of resident students in the event of damage or loss resulting from fire, flood, and theft.

The annual premium for the basic cover is included withint he rent. Limitations and exclusions to the basic cover apply. However, you can extend your cover to protect other items for an extra fee. Further details can be found on website.

Cleaning in communal areas

The housekeeping department regularly clean all communal areas, including corridors, kitchens, and communal bathrooms. They also remove rubbish and recycling from communal areas.

However it will be your responsibility to keep the communal areas in good order and to clean your own room and your ensuite, if you have one. If you live in partner accommodation, it will be your responsibility to regularly clean all areas.

Not included in your rent

Television and TV licence 

If you wish to watch a television in your room, you will need your own valid annual TV licence, the College doesn't hold a general one. Please visit the  for further information.

How to report a problem with your room

At the start of the year you'll be able to view and check your room inventory which notes all furniture, furnishings, and fittings and their condition.

If there are any items in your room which aren't working, you can , the College intranet. Once a fault report is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email and a fault report number. 

Porters' Lodge and security

The Porters’ Lodge at the main entrance to College is open 24 hours a day throughout the year. It's the main point of contact for out of hours emergencies.

The Porters’ main responsibility is to ensure that the College is safe and secure. If you ever lose your University Card (which you need to access your accommodation), you can borrow a temporary access card after a quick security check.

If you have any questions about our postgraduate accommodation please email us at student-rooms@jesus.cam.ac.uk.

Hear from our students